Thursday 12 February 2015

If you can dream it, you can achieve it!!!

 We made it!!! We managed to raise 100% of the funds needed to self-publish my very own children's book. I'm going to be a published author! WHOOP, WHOOP!!!


My project has ended a few minutes ago and I'm super excited and so very happy about this opportunity I've been given. I know I've said it a million times since launching my Kickstarter project, but I can't tell you guys enough how truly grateful I am for your help and support. To be quite honest, I was super nervous about the whole thing and didn't really expect it to work out. It's not easy to put yourself out there and ask for help (especially in the form of money). I also realize that $6,500 is a lot of money, so I didn't really have high hopes of actually succeeding. But as you can see, if you have a dream and you want to pursue it, it's well worth taking the risk.


Sometimes things do work out and in my case, I'm going to be a published children's book author, which is insane! I still can't wrap my head around the idea of my book being available for purchase on online stores like Amazon. Every single person who has made a donation is a big part of this and I'm very excited about bringing this book to life and sharing my journey with you. I truly have the best family and friends in the world, so THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart. You guys rock and you've made a young family very happy! We've had quite a few setbacks since starting the renovation progress on our little cottage and really needed a little bit of change. Something to look forward to and be excited about and that is exactly what you have given us. The children don't really seem to understand why mommy is bouncing off the walls, but they're sensing that something's up and are excited with me. In fact, Mia was so excited all day, she has worn herself out.


So now the fun part begins. The publishing process! I'm really looking forward to working with a team, figuring out the layout and format of the book and I'm so excited about working with my brother-in-law, who is going to create the amazing illustrations for my book. I'm excited about seeing the characters and scenes of my story come to life, and I completely trust that I am going to love everything he draws because I've seen his art, and he's amazing and truly talented. This is going to be a family project and my wish is that my children, as well as yours, will love this book and read it over and over and over! I want the copy in your house to look worn and dog-eared, maybe even a little bit torn and sticky, because that means it was well handled and loved.


I'm also a little bit nervous because now that I've got the funds needed, it means I have to deliver. I have been writing for years and never once have I shared anything I've written with the public. Mainly because I'm terrified it's not good enough and sharing something that came from deep within yourself and something you're very passionate about is scary. Everybody has a healthy fear of rejection. You don't want people bashing something you have worked on for years and put your heart and soul into. You are really opening yourself up to all kinds of criticism, not all of it good, and it takes courage to do so. I wasn't quite ready until recently, when I decided that I'm never going to be a writer if the only person reading my stories is me. Launching my blog was the first step in the right direction. Publishing a children's book is the second step and who knows? Someday I might even finish and publish an actual novel, which has always been the endgame for me. Baby steps. For now, this project is crazy and amazing and I can hardly believe I'm actually doing it! I will keep everyone updated on how things are going and can't wait to present you guys with the finished product.


Here's my advice of the week. If you have a dream or are passionate about something, take action! Your dreams are not magically going to become a reality if you don't put yourself out there and work towards your goals. Overcome your insecurities and fears and go for it. Your hard work and dedication will pay off. When you ask old people what they regret most, it's usually not the things they've done or the mistakes they've made and learned from, it's the things they didn't do!!! Don't get to the end of your life-journey and realize all you've got is a bunch of regrets! Do it now, because sometimes later becomes never.

No comments:

Post a Comment